Northside Hospital FL problems

Where failure to care has the potential to maim--and more.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida, United States

I am a freelance writer with a BA in Mass Communications from the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. Please check out my production site: http://robinshwedoproductions.weebly.com and e-portfolio at http://rjshwedo.weebly.com. A few of my favorite quotes are: "...Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable" (Finley Peter Dunne); "Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living" (Mother Jones); "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing" (Albert Einstein). Some things inspire me: people who strive to make a positive difference; sunrise or sunset--especially at the beach. Some things that make me angry: those who can't be bothered to do what's right; the fact that the medical and legal system frequently looks at people's finances before deciding whether or not that person should have access to their services...I could go on...

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lawyer has signed on...

As of Tuesday afternoon, I have an attorney who has signed on. I'm not naming names at this point. I figure that if anyone from Northside is reading this, I don't need them contacting the attorney just yet. After gathering more information and deciding how best to proceed, I know s/he'll contact Northside. I will say this, though: The Jacksonville lawyer is still on the case, but at this time, he is taking a backseat and letting the Tampa lawyer run with the case.

At one point, after I had signed papers so that the Jacksonville lawyer could get P__'s complete medical records, Northside refused to send the records, stating that Jax was the lawyer for P__'s estate. Apparently, this is highly unusual; the usual scenario is that the patient (or next of kin--me--if the patient is deceased) signs a release form (actually several), sends them to the lawyer, who then requests the records, which are then collected and sent. That is the way it is supposed to be done. Except, of course, Northside didn't want to turn loose of the records. (What were they trying to hide?)

Well, the records finally arrived. Jax also contacted me to let me know that the Tampa attorney wanted to sign on; did I find this acceptable? In many ways, it would be advantageous to the case: when things start picking up steam (if N.side not won't turn loose of any more records; depositions being made; etc), it would be much easier to commute from Tampa than Jacksonville. Add to the fact that the Tampa lawyer is a medical malpractice attorney, highly recommended, etc., I told Jax that I accepted. Jax assured me that he's still in the picture, so that made me feel more comfortable.

During the meeting with the Tampa attorney, I signed the paperwork to get the whole ball rolling. S/he was impressed with the letter that the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) sent. It stated that it was able to confirm most of my accusations. The two accusations that it could not confirm (or deny) were the two most inconsequential ones, at least to this particular case. However, I do have several witnesses who can back up my claim on one of those claims, bringing us down to one unconfirmed accusation.

I feel very good about the direction this has taken. I had hoped for an attorney who was totally excited about taking the case; to have two (one doing the steering, the other as back-up) is indeed wonderful.

One more thing: anyone who missed the article in the St. Petersburg (FL) Times last month, here's a link to it: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/18/Neighborhoodtimes/Widow_warns_others_in.shtmlhttp://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/18/Neighborhoodtimes/Widow_warns_others_in.shtml"> . Feel free to read.

One last thing for this evening: If you have a loved one going into the hospital, keep watch. Ask questions. Expect answers. (However, use common sense. If your loved one is in the ER and 10 people are frantically working on your loved one, it might be difficult for someone to break away and give you a play-by-play report. But someone from the hospital should be able to talk with you and let you know what's what.) Be vigilant. Write things down, even if it seems insignificant. Keep in mind that most medical personnel are decent, caring people who will try to help you and/or your loved one. As with many professions, it is the bad ones who give the good/great majority a bad name.

I hope this helps someone out there...

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mama Mayhem said...

I know your hard work and dedication will pay off, and most likely save lives. You're my hero! :)

11:10 AM  
Blogger feminist writer - Robin Shwedo said...

Thank you for the kind words!

-robin

4:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice sharing , in car crash Personal injury attorney birmingham al is always helpful for everyone even taking a claims to the insurance company.

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home