Northside Hospital FL problems

Where failure to care has the potential to maim--and more.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida, United States

I am a freelance writer with a BA in Mass Communications from the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. Please check out my production site: http://robinshwedoproductions.weebly.com and e-portfolio at http://rjshwedo.weebly.com. A few of my favorite quotes are: "...Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable" (Finley Peter Dunne); "Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living" (Mother Jones); "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing" (Albert Einstein). Some things inspire me: people who strive to make a positive difference; sunrise or sunset--especially at the beach. Some things that make me angry: those who can't be bothered to do what's right; the fact that the medical and legal system frequently looks at people's finances before deciding whether or not that person should have access to their services...I could go on...

Monday, March 19, 2007

Addressing the comments...

Here it is, Monday, March 19. I had almost figured on hearing from Northside today. But then, I may be contacted later in the week. I'm not planning on going anywhere.

Now, first things first. Thank you, Paul Swider and anyone else at the St. Petersburg Times who helped with the article. I personally feel that health care is an important issue. We are all our brothers' (and sisters') keepers; we're all in this life together.

Now, to address some of the posts:
Southlady (who posted back in December): Yes, I agree; nurses (the majority, anyway) are dedicated, decent, hardworking people who got into the field for the right reasons. Unfortunately, as with any profession, be it anyone in the medical field, lawyers, cab drivers, what-have-you, it's the bad ones who give the whole profession a bad name. The fact that you brought your ex- home rather than subject him to the floor at N.side speaks volumes.

Beth: expect an email within the next 24 hours.

Deb Fab: I'll try contacting you, too.

PeoplesSmartAss: Thank you for your kind words and the blog-roll.

Vox: Thanks.

NHpoorcare: I thoroughly sympathize. (No offense, but I hope never to see you ditched!)

Janet, ol14, Edward Ringwald, Alane, another widow, Joanner: I am so sorry for your losses. Part of me wanted to say, "No way." But I believe what you've told me; I've seen it, too. N.side stinks, yes? (And Joanner, mail that letter! It is important!)

Allison: Glad you're now doing well. I should not have read that "deathside" comment with a mouthful of coffee! (But I can forgive you for that!)

Rachet: Thank you; right on.

For all of you who've commented, thank you. For all of you who've read this blog, thank you. For all of you (and I include myself here) who've wondered, "What can I do? I'm only one person," I offer this advice: Keep it legal, keep it honest. Otherwise, we lose our credibility and our power. You're only one person? So was Rosa Parks. So was Martin Luther King, Jr. Jesus started with a band of 12 scared disciples.

In the words of Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world: indeed it's the only thing that ever has."

I will keep everyone updated on how this goes. And, kind readers, keep me posted, too. I have a sneaking suspicion that we all want to see better healthcare. We know we'll all die someday, but it shouldn't be at the hands of those who should be helping us get better.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Loretta Marie said...

Monday, March 19, 2007
Recently Disatisfied Patient Like March 18th!!
This Horror started on Thursday..... and has been continued till last night till he came home.

My husband has been in this Nasty Stinkin hospital cause he was complaining about bleeding in his stools, gave him NO WATER OR FOOD FOR 48 HOURS!! this man went into dehyration till I spoke up... they still to deaf ears, I wanted him to see my own gastronernologist they said NO we have one Dr. Gl, although he only saw him once, and No one has ever told us much of anything.
We waited in the emergency room for 9 hours before we had a room. Freezing to death, No food Not one person asked if I wanted a cup of coffee, I had no food or water I wanted to make sure my husband was cared for. The nasty answers i got from the people in charge in the ER is nasty, One nurse Jon was the nice one too, But he says we can only do so much I said where is the doctor in charge he is busy. Busy he can not see my husband??? What the hell going on here, he is not in dire need we were told.

A woman after us was rushed into the hosptial emerency room complaining she had a heart attack soon died... She came in with abuelance

I saw the sheet they put over her head, the black purse was next to her bed, sad.. they worked on her a few minutes and let her die, just there...

I feel that someone needs to take care of this hospital the staff expect for 1 RN and 1 staff gal was great the entire hospital Stinks...If it was not for Sarah, My husband would have starved to death!!

They are so very much uncaring and to ask them a question The answer i got from Dr. Az was "I don't know" Did not read the chart!! What you mean you did not read the chart you are taking care of him, He checked his lungs, they took blood and You dont know what happening to him? No one seems to care or say anything about it, it seems that they are Only there for the paycheck Not unlike LARGO MEDICAL , MORTON PLANT, WONDERFUL HOSPITALS....Many walked in just to hear his heart this bill will be over 300.00 for hearing his heart, what kind of idiots do they think we are?

I was told that this is a Learning Hospital if i knew this I would have gone someplace else. I do not want my Family to be taught on like guinea pigs!!


Then came in a 2 more New interns learning the process on emergency care. One interns name was J also and the other was L, the two of them were asking each other what to do, after asking him questions. They did not know what to do!! They were asking each other questions, they were in the First Year of Medical School then the other one got a reflex hammer, is this how you all want your loved ones to be cared for?

(I do not like learning interns to work on my husband!!)

We got no answers until I complained and then they still to deaf ears, He stayed in a hospital room for more than 2 days with no answers and if they think i am going to be paying for this mans big bill they got another thing coming...He had some procedures done and then they kept him overnight for observation, Observation my butt... they wanted to suck dry my insurance company.

He was getting dizzy and faintness from lack of food, he also complained of a headache from not eating since 5 am. Dehydration setting in, and he was nauseous. No one did anything for him. I asked repeatedly what’s going on, no one answered me.

What kind of a hospital is this when the public is being ignored when you are being paid highly from our insurance company?

I left cause I was lacking nutrition and I needed my asthma medicines so I went on home. R called me and told me that they found him a room.

Still after 3 days in this Hell Hole he still not received the Tlyneol, they told me he could not have one, But on his chart from Dr. S says he could have one, No one gave him nothing, the Pretty Nice RN Sarah was very good to him and she gave him a Healthy Choice Dinner this man was starving. I think before Hubert whatever hospital it was its still the same UNCARING AND too stupid people work here. THIS is not a hospital with caring and understanding its a place from hell.

Went in for only a minor thing they tell you, you got so much stuff... the man in the next bed saw 5 doctors and was well taken care of and MY husband was put there like a rock, no one came in, finally he received a can of Gingerale, after 2 days without food or water, they started him in the ER with Protonix and then an IV... they said he may have stool problems... who knows I am not a doctor if i was I would have sent him to Largo Medical. My own doctor does not like this place... It was the nearest one to where he worked at., when your bleeding you dont know you are supposed to be taken where you are needed.

I wish I would have read this blog from this woman before I sent him there... and If they should cash a check of mine in the future and say they did not Im gonna have their heads on a plate.

I want to have that womans attorney contact me as well. I need to straighen this out too.

This should not have to happen to anyone at the Horror Hospital... Thats the right name for it...

How many peoples relatives have died here., That woman could have lived, they should have done something for her, only gave her a few things and then she passed. They were not effective with her she would have been here. Poor thing... I feel for her...

I hope her family sues the S*t out of them... I am thinking of doing the same.


Why does the Not the state do somthing and regulate these unscupulous places, why do they allow these facilities to continue to work on people it seems like we are the people like Soil n Green, put you out to pasture but make sure we clean out there health insurance.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Loretta Marie said...

Can anyone comment or tell me what I can do about this I have documented and sent already a copy to my doctor now what else?

3:12 PM  
Blogger Joanner said...

If you want to get their attention, send the letter to Risk Management at Northside. They most likely will response, unless they deem you a nut and then will ignore you (seen at another hospital).

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home