Northside Hospital FL problems

Where failure to care has the potential to maim--and more.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida, United States

I am a freelance writer with a BA in Mass Communications from the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. Please check out my production site: http://robinshwedoproductions.weebly.com and e-portfolio at http://rjshwedo.weebly.com. A few of my favorite quotes are: "...Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable" (Finley Peter Dunne); "Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living" (Mother Jones); "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing" (Albert Einstein). Some things inspire me: people who strive to make a positive difference; sunrise or sunset--especially at the beach. Some things that make me angry: those who can't be bothered to do what's right; the fact that the medical and legal system frequently looks at people's finances before deciding whether or not that person should have access to their services...I could go on...

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Horror Stories

For anyone who may have stumbled onto this blog (maybe via Google?), I have set this up to address problems at a specific Florida HCA-affiliated hospital.

Many of us have had to go to the hospital and/or emergency room at one time or another. What do we expect when we go to said hospital/ER? To get better. However, I seem to have become a magnet for horror stories for Northside. Why? The death of a loved one.

Originally, I had not wanted P__ to go to N.side. However, as it was the closest hospital, that was where P__ was taken. Would've been fine--if P__'d been transferred after being stabilized. But instead, upon leaving the CCU, s/he was sent to one of the floors (after getting surprisingly good care at their CCU--more on that in a future post). That was where s/he was given horribly substandard care, which subsequently led to his/her death. (I'm purposely being ambiguous on P__'s gender, as I have heard numerous horror stories from an amazing amount of people on the poor quality of their loved-ones at the hands of N.side. Therefore, if anyone from Northside checks this blog out--I doubt that they will, but stranger things have happened--they'll have to sit and wonder, "Who the heck is this?" Let them sweat...All horror stories relayed over the next few days/weeks are medical horror stories that honestly happened at the hands of this hospital.)

Stay tuned: More will be posted tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Southlady_1 said...

I am an RN at a local hospital...NOT in an ER but in another area that is urgent. As I read your horror story, I must agree...it is indeed a HORROR story! I do hope that the nurses are busy sweating. I work in high stress with a lot of necessary care to deliver to my patients. Also, I am an older nurse so I can empathise with this nurse.

Nursing has become more and more difficult. In fact, as much as I LOVE my job, as I get older it is getting much more difficult. Nurses tend to be treated poorly both by management and the doctors. How much longer I can/will continue working where I am is anyone's guess. Why don't the hospitals hire more nurses?? THERE ARE NONE! The new nurses coming out of school don't want to work weekends and holidays which is a necessity! They also don't want to work nights. Not to be difficult, but, I've worked nights, weekends, and holidays for the duration of my career. It is the big payoff! I get HUGE amounts of money (right...NOT!!) for the priviledge of working so hard with drs who can be real jerks...to care for patients who may or may not appreciate or even comply with me caring for them or their babies. Oh yeah, the patients attitudes are different as well. Patients and visitors have been more and more difficult over the years.
Please don't get me wrong....the situations outlined in the blog are unacceptable. My ex husband was a patient at Northside approximately 8 yrs ago. He recieved excellent care for the 18 hrs in ICU but the floor?? I took him home to take care of him myself.
Good job on getting this blog going. I hope my post is NOT miscontrued to take their sides... just to give the reader some of the issues nursing is facing. I don't know the solution though, I would not treat my patients as P___ was treated no matter what administration said OR I would not work in such an environment.

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home